Update Windows 7 to Windows 10 – Complete Guide
Windows 10 release is almost here making it the right time for you to know about the upgrade process. We understand that Microsoft has made the entire process very straightforward but it wouldn’t hurt to help those who are finding the task a little mysterious. Once you have made up your mind to make this move to update to Windows 10, follow this guide to learn about the steps.
Windows 10 is a free update for the first year for the users running their machines on Windows 7 and Windows 8, 8.1. If you are running Windows 7 Service Pack 1, you too can avail this free upgrade offer. To confirm that your PC is powered by Windows 7 SP1:
- Open the Run command: Windows + R
- Type winver
- Right below the operating system name, it should say “Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)”
Don’t have the right Service Pack?
In that case, you can install the update via Windows Update from Microsoft support (download windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe for 64-bit and windows6.1-KB976932-X86.exe for 32-bit). This update will prepare your PC for the Windows 10 installation. After this update you will notice the Get Windows 10 app appearing with a Windows icon at the lower-right corner of your screen. Alternatively, you can download the app directly from Microsoft. Once you install it manually, click the Windows icon and Reserve your free upgrade. Go through the process of entering an email address to confirm it.
To check that your computer is capable of handling Windows 10, make sure to click on the Check your PC on the same Windows app. This will help you see if you should expect any issues.
Microsoft will roll out Windows 10 in multiple waves making it a little uncertain when exactly would you receive the installation files; some lucky Insiders have already started receiving them. Once you get the notification, make sure to:
- Create a backup of your files (this is not mandatory but would help you in the worse scenarios – files and program will be kept after the upgrade)
- Disable or uninstall any antivirus programs on your computer
- Make sure you have at least 20GB of free storage space
- Disable or uninstall any apps pointed out by Get Windows 10 app as problematic
After going through these prerequisite steps, follow through the steps outlined by the app. Accept Legal agreements and you will see the Your upgrade is ready to install pop-up. Schedule the upgrade time or update it right away by clicking on the Start the upgrade now. Procedure to upgrade Windows 7 to Windows 10 is pretty straightforward and will be taken care of for you. Just ensure to have at least an hour to make this process finish with ample battery life.
Once done, you will be presented with a new Windows. Set it up according to your preferences and enjoy the new Windows!
Note: we shared with you how Microsoft has made it possible for users to opt out of automatic Windows 10 updates. This choice is not offered to Windows 10 Home users but is only available to Windows 10 Pro customers.
- Google Pixel 2 Directly Mentioned As Walleye By Engineer During Software Run – Take A Look!
- AMD Radeon RX Vega High-End Enthusiast Graphics Card Packaging Pictured – Supposedly Bundled With Quake Champions
- NVIDIA GeForce GT 1030 Final Specifications Confirmed – KFA2 GT 1030 EXOC White Ships With 30W TDP, 1506 MHz Clock Speed and 48 GB/s Bandwidth
- Microsoft Trademarks Direct Physics – Is This A New Physics API for DirectX 12?
- Premium iOS Apps Have Gone Free this Weekend – Download them All