Second Redstone 3 Preview Out for PC – Microsoft Stops Supporting Several Windows 10 Mobile Devices
Microsoft started experimenting new features for the upcoming Windows 10 Redstone 3 earlier this week. The company is now sending a second preview build of Redstone 3 to Windows Insiders on PCs and first one to Windows 10 Mobile users.
New Windows 10 Redstone 3 Preview builds out for PC and Mobile
Microsoft is releasing Windows 10 Redstone 3 Preview build 16176 for PCs and build 15204 for Mobile devices. While 16176 is the second preview for desktop, build 15204 is the first Windows 10 Redstone 3 build for Mobile. Microsoft hasn’t yet delivered Windows 10 Creators Update to those on Mobile, so today’s release of Redstone 3 Preview is a little surprising.
Here’s the changelog for Windows 10 Redstone 3 Preview 16176:
- Windows Subsystem for Linux Gains Serial Device Support: Windows COM ports can now be accessed directly from a WSL process!
Changes, improvements, and fixes for PC
- You can now hold down the power button on your device for 7 seconds to trigger a bugcheck. This will only work on newer devices that don’t uses legacy ACPI power buttons.
- Narrator will work again on this build.
- We fixed the issue causing some apps and games to crash due to a misconfiguration of advertising ID that happened in a prior build.
- We fixed an issue resulting in the Start menu and Action Center having a noticeable framerate drop in their animations on certain devices if transparency was enabled and there were open UWP apps.
- We fixed an issue from the previous build where the Action Center could get into a state where dismissing one notification unexpectedly dismissed multiple.
- We fixed an issue where the Clock and Calendar flyout was unexpectedly missing the agenda integration for some Insiders.
- We fixed an issue from the previous build (Build 16170) resulting in Surface Books unexpectedly doing a disk check after waking from sleep due to it bugchecking during sleep.
- We fixed an issue from the previous build resulting in Win32 app text sometimes not rendering, for example in File Explorer, until logging out and back in.
- We fixed an issue where the Extensions Process was suspended inappropriately during Connected Standby, resulting in Microsoft Edge becoming unresponsive on wake if any extensions had been installed.
Support ends for several Windows Phone devices
If you are a Windows Insider in the Fast Ring, you can get the latest Windows 10 Redstone 3 Preview build 16176 from Windows Update. For those using Windows Phone, only a few devices will now receive Insider Preview builds, so make sure yours is still supported by WIP. Following devices will be officially supported in the Windows Insider Program going forward:
- HP Elite x3
- Microsoft Lumia 550
- Microsoft Lumia 640/640XL
- Microsoft Lumia 650
- Microsoft Lumia 950/950 XL
- Alcatel IDOL 4S
- Alcatel OneTouch Fierce XL
- SoftBank 503LV
- VAIO Phone Biz
- MouseComputer MADOSMA Q601
- Trinity NuAns NEO
Changelog for Windows 10 Mobile Redstone 3 15204:
Changes, improvements, and fixes for Mobile
- We have added a new privacy page to the Windows 10 Mobile OOBE experience that allows you to quickly and effectively make common privacy changes while setting up the device.
- We fixed the issue where the keyboard would sometimes not appear when a text input field is selected in Microsoft Edge.
For more details on known issues, please read the official announcement post.
- 343i Acknowledges Halo 5 Storytelling Mistake, Will Double Down on Master Chief Focus
- AMD: Radeon RX Vega Performance Compared To GeForce GTX 1080 Ti and Titan Xp Looks Really Nice
- Intel X299 HEDT Platform For Skylake X and Kaby Lake X Processors Announcement on 30th May, Launch on 26th June – Reviews Go Live on 16th June
- Meet the iPhone Edition Concept – ‘Everything is Changing’ [Video]
- NVIDIA Releases New Game-Ready 381.89 Driver Which Offers Various Optimizations